Looking at Vera Wang wedding gowns on Park Ave, NYC. Was this really THAT long ago?
A friend of mine who shall remain nameless called me today asking for relationship advice. The first thing I immediately thought was that any advice I give would undoubedtly be cast aside, as we all are creatures of our own emotion, oblivious to the well-meaning instructions of others. And the second thing I thought.. well… lol, I should be the very last person on this cold and cruel earth to ask for relationship advice. Not that I don’t have a good head on my shoulders but I’ve been so caught up in other things that I haven’t even had time to develop my own sense of what romance should be. So to you, I offer up the following words of Big Willy himself. Please treat them as if they were offered up as an allegory to your own situation. Hope this helps.
1. All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
my translation: Every person has their place in your life. Whether it be past or present, it may not necessarily mean the future. As with all things, don’t mortgage your future for the sake of your past.
2. Sweet are the uses of adversity which, like the toad, ugly and venomous, wears yet a precious jewel in his head.
my translation: Any time you go through traumatic or otherwise such powerful emotional situations with another human being, you will undoubtedly be intertwined in a very strong way throughout the course of time. This does NOT mean you should be together.
3. Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.
my translation: Stand on your own two feet. Don’t be afraid of it. Take it. It’s meant to be yours. And even if it isn’t, who’s to say you can’t take it anyway. 🙂
4. He who has injured thee was either stronger or weaker than thee. If weaker, spare him; if stronger, spare thyself.
my translation: Either way, you must move on. Compromise is the language of delaying the inevitable.
5. How poor are they who have not patience! What wound did ever heal but by degrees.
my translation: Not everything must happen now. The world has a funny way of putting people in their place. Cast yourself to the wind and have faith in whatever happens.
That’s it. I’m done with my little rant. To everyone reading, don’t worry, I’m still personally heartless. I did not grow a virginia overnight. The best way to describe this last 5 minutes of my life that I’ll never get back comes from Shakespeare himself…
“I did never know so full a voice issue from so empty a heart: but the saying is true ‘The empty vessel makes the greatest sound’.”